The objectives of the University are as follows:
- To develop a comprehensive and liberal programme of maritime education and training to match modern technological innovations associated with shipboard operations and the fishing industry;
- To prepare sea-going officers to assume higher responsibilities on merchant ships and fishing vessels;
- To provide adequate training facilities with a view to promoting the administrative, managerial, operational and technical skills of shore-based shipping and ports personnel;
- To promote maritime co-operation and full participation among Member States;
- To perform any other functions which are incidental to the objects of the University.