The Gambia Hostel is a dedicated hostel for Post-graduate students and upgraders at the Regional Maritime University. It is a 48-bedroom facility located on the campus in a serene and safe environment and only a short walking distance from all lecture, library and laboratory facilities.
Room types and Fees
The Hostel has the following room types available
- Single room occupancy – Executive Accommodation
- Single room occupancy – Semi – Executive Accommodation
- Double room occupancy – Ordinary Accommodation
NB: All rooms are furnished. Executive rooms enjoy dedicated cleaning services. Curtains, blankets and bed sheets are washed for all executive rooms by the University.
Laundry services are provided for students if requested, for a fee.
Executive Lodge (3rd Floor) – Single room occupancy
|S/N||Description||Fee per day (US$)||Total Amount (US$)|
Semi-Executive Lodge (2nd Floor) – Single room occupancy
|Description||Fee per day (US$)||Total Amount (US$)|
|1.||1 Night||20.00||20.00 (per day)|
|2.||7 Days||16.00||112.00 (per week)|
|3.||1 month||130.00||520.00 (per semester)|
Ordinary Lodge (Ground to 1st Floor) – Double room occupancy
Fees per Semester
(4 Months) (US$)
|1.||1 month - Navy Officers||75.00 per person||300.00 per person|
|2.||1 month - Up-graders/students||100.00 per person||400.00 per person|
|3.||1 Night /Day (any student)||$20.00||20.00 (rate for one night only)|
|4.||7 Days (any student)||$ 16.00 (per day)||112.00 (rate for seven days only)|
Application and allocation of rooms to applicants
- Application for accommodation in the hostel is administered in line with the timing of student enrollment and priority is given to new students. Application may be open to old students depending on availability of hostel rooms.
- All applicants must fill out an application form and submit it to the registry at the beginning of each study period.
- Selection method:
- New students: Rooms are offered to paying students based on “first-come-first-serve” basis (subject to room availability).
- Continuing/old students: Must apply for Extension of Accommodation if contract/study period has elapsed.
- When an applicant receives an offer of a room, it will not be confirmed until 100% of the total fee for the contract period has been received by the Finance Directorate and the room license agreement has been signed (within 7 days of the receipt of the offer or the room will be reallocated to another student). Should an applicant fail to meet any of the conditions set out by Gambia Hostel Management, the room will be reallocated to another student and the deposit will be refunded to you.
- In the interests of ensuring that as much space as possible is allocated to the students most in need of support, the categories of offer-holders we consider priorities (in the order given below) are as follows:
i. Applicants with disabilities or other special requirements which would make it hard to find suitable private, rented accommodation at short notice.
ii. Applicants from member states arriving in Ghana for the first time for graduate studies/upgrading who have no previous experience of Ghana.
iii. Applicants from non-member states countries arriving in Ghana for the first time for graduate studies/upgrading who have no previous experience of Ghana.
iv. Applicants from member states with previous experience of Ghana who have already met the academic conditions of their offer and have submitted an application with the specified period.
v. Applicants from non-member states with previous experience of Ghana who have already met the academic conditions of their offer and have submitted an application with the specified period.
vi. Other applicants that may not fall into any of the categories listed above.
Regional Maritime University is located in an exciting urban area. The University is a walking distance from “The Junction”, a popular outlet mall where there are many shops and activities of interest. The University is a beach property and there are many local beach stalls located a walking distance from the Nungua Campus.
The University has sporting facilities including a pool, basketball court, tennis court, volleyball court and a football field.
Our staff and students are friendly and always willing to assist you.